Working in the Netherlands

Working in another country is always exciting and requires some adjustments. Every country has its own rules, laws and social provisions. Of course, we are here to help and inform you. We have made a summary with some points you should take into account.

Work permit and social security number

Good news if you come from a country from the EU, Iceland, Switzerland, Norway or Liechtenstein. You do not need a work permit to work in the Netherlands. You must, however, be in possession of a citizen service number (BSN). You can request this from Dutch municipalities and will only be issued in person. You are required to provide identification here. The laws can change over time. For questions, please contact Start People International Recruitment in Venlo.

Taxes and allowances

If you work in the Netherlands, you must pay tax for the salary earned in the Netherlands. The Netherlands has a progressive tax system: the more you earn, the more taxes you have to pay. You must also submit a tax return if requested by the Tax Authorities. Mostly you will get some paid taxes refunded. You can do this online or preferably you can hire a tax advisor. If you live and work in the Netherlands, you may be entitled to various allowances. You can, for example, be entitled to child benefit or an allowance for your health insurance.

Health insurance

If you work in the Netherlands, you MUST be insured by a DUTCH HEALTH INSURER. You must arrange this health insurance yourself. The basic contribution is currently approximately €120 net per month with an own risk of € 385 net per year. You can increase the own risk, in which case your monthly contribution will be lower. This is interesting, for example, if you work in the Netherlands, but do not use healthcare here. Children up to the age of 18 must be co-insured (free of charge) if both parents work in the Netherlands. From the age of 18 you must have your own personal health insurance. In certain cases it is possible to receive an allowance for your health insurance.

Working conditions at Start People

If you work via Start People, you will build up 25 vacation days per year on the basis of a full-time contract (40 hours per week). You can only take off those days that you have actually built up. Most companies pay a fixed amount for travel expenses. Overtime is paid at the percentage for overtime that applies in the labor agreement (CAO). Payments are possible weekly or alternatively every 4 weeks. The payment can be transferred to any European bank account.

EURES and Start People

The goal of Start People is to create a transparent and open cross-border labour market where the job searcher can find the right job. Being a good employer, providing honest working conditions and correct information is essential. 
For this purpose, Start People became a member of the EURES in 2019. EURES (the European Mobility Network for Jobseekers) is a cooperation network of the European Commission and the Public Employment Services (PES) of the member states of the European Economic Area (EEA) (the EU member states plus, Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein) and other partner organizations. Visit the EURES portal via

Useful links:


Apply directly?

At Start People we always find an opportunity for everyone. This is how we work for the government, large commercial companies and SME's. There is always something for you! Whether you are looking for a flexible or permanent job.

View all vacancies